Saturday, April 12, 2008

Why I love Mozambique!

Hey all,
I notice in looking back on what I've written so far that I probably have not sufficiently communicated how much I love this place. For starters you've got all these things that are pleasing to the eye. For example, unspoilt nighttime skies with shooting stars through a milky way that is just clear as day across the sky. Roads and walkways with texture brought about by erosion, nature is everywhere here, even in urban areas. The tall weedy grass does what it wants and people don't so much concern themselves with cutting it just because it's there. Clothes on children that testify to having lived themselves out to the point where you could hardly call that shirt a shirt--this reminds me of Ulysses drinking life to the dregs. The taxis I ride in are full of character and are utilized to the maximum possible. Once the car is full of people it just feels right, utilizing the resource and appreciating it in this way. Another thing is that in a world of few distractions and diversions the people around you become most important as your source of enjoyment in life. People have sincere interest during conversations, and I feel like the simple "good morning"s of passersby can replace a longer conversation in the states because they were spoken with such interest and sincerity and even enthusiasm. I'd say that is the main reason I love Mozambique, is the interpersonal relations. Worth highlighting is that I used to be scared of children, but now I love them.
And lets not forget that although I may be hungry for fresh produce at times, my ego is not all that hungry here. I get to be an important person, and enjoy status here as a result of my background, so it sometimes seems I'm more welcome than the average person to talk to head honchos in the community like Sr. Padre Amadeus, the head of the Catholic mission, or for example my namesake Greg, a South African guy who built a gas pipeline from Pande to Mambone and married a Mozambican woman and now lives here.
Another reason I love it here is because there's a lot of opportunity to serve others who are in need. I've not yet got to do that very much but now that I'm feeling well adjusted I'll be working more on outside projects other than school teaching.

No comments: